15 inspiring human rights quotes
1. “To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.”
Nelson Mandela, South African civil rights activist
2. “If someone needs to express their gender in a way that is different, that is okay. They don’t deserve to be victims of violence. If you are uncomfortable with it, then you need to look at yourself.”
Laverne Cox, American actress
3. "It means a great deal to those who are oppressed to know that they are not alone. Never let anyone tell you that what you are doing is insignificant."
Desmond Tutu, South African civil rights activist
4. “We protest because we love ourselves, and our people... Love is at the root of our resistance.”
Colin Kaepernick, athlete, activist and Amnesty International Ambassador of Conscience
5. “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
Martin Luther King, African-American civil rights activist
6. "The candle burns not for us, but for all those whom we failed to rescue from prison, who were shot on the way to prison, who were tortured, who were kidnapped, who 'disappeared'. That's what the candle is for."
Peter Benenson, founder of Amnesty International
7. "Peace can only last where human rights are respected, where the people are fed, and where individuals and nations are free."
14th Dalai Lama
8. “You cannot kill the truth. You cannot kill justice. You cannot kill what we are fighting for.”
Jean Dominique, Haitian democracy activist
9. "We are way more powerful when we turn to each other and not on each other, when we celebrate our diversity… and together tear down the mighty walls of injustice."
Cynthia McKinney, American politician and activist
10. “A political struggle that does not have women at the heart of it, above it, below it, and within it is no struggle at all.”
Arundhati Roy, Indian author
11. “Let us remember: One book, one pen, one child, and one teacher can change the world.”
Malala Yousafzai, Pakistani education activist
12. “There can be no peace without justice and respect for human rights.”
Irene Khan, Bangladeshi lawyer and former Secretary General of Amnesty International
13. “Freedom is never granted; it is won. Justice is never given; it is exacted.”
A. Philip Randolph, African-American civil rights campaigner
14. “Get up, stand up, Stand up for your rights. Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.”
Bob Marley, Jamaican singer
15. “No matter what people tell you, words and ideas can change the world.”
Robin Williams, American comedian