• Campagnes

EXTRA 79/92 - Turkey: fear of torture: Sehmus Yanalak, Mehmet Urun, Abbas Elci, Halil Elci, Bilal Elci, Talip Elci, Abdullah Elci, Zinnet Elci, Nusret Oktem, Sait Yakiemir, Suleyman Balta, Haci Yagbasan, Mehmet Yagbasan, Cemil Yasar, Omer Yasar, Ibrahim Y

, N° d'index: EUR 44/097/1992

Soldiers on police duty (gendarmerie) and village guards (paramilitaries) surrounded the village of Hisar in Sirnak Province on the night of 29 September 1992. On the morning of 30 September they began arresting villagers, reportedly firing on anyone who tried to flee. Four people reportedly died and 30 were arrested, including the above-named. Those arrested were taken to Sirnak Police Headquarters; five of them were brought from police headquarters to the hospital in Cizre for treatment for their injuries. AI fears that those named above are being interrogated under torture at Sirnak Police Headquarters.

EXTERNAL (for general distribution) AI Index: EUR 44/97/92
Distr: UA/SC
EXTRA 79/92 Fear of Torture 6 October 1992
_ehmus Yanalak
Mehmet Ürün
Abbas Elçi
Halil Elçi
Bilal Elçi
Talip Elçi
Abdullah Elçi
Zinnet Elçi
Nusret Öktem
Sait Yak_emir
Süleyman Balta
Hac_ Ya_basan
Mehmet Ya_basan
Cemil Ya_ar
Ömer Ya_ar
Ibrahim Y_ld_z
A Halim Y_ld_z
Ya__n Y_ld_z
Meryem Fidan (female)
Feysi Fidan
Mehmet Fidan
Saliha Yavuç (female)
Ömer Ölge
Abdurrahim Ölge
Mehmet Ölge
Hamit Ölge
Abdullah Onan
Sait Yakaman
On the night of 29 September 1992, gendarmerie (soldiers on police duties)
and village guards (paramilitary force) surrounded the village of Hisar, near
Silopi in the province of __rnak. When villagers started to move around on
the morning of 30 September, the security forces came out of hiding, began
arresting villagers and fired on any who tried to flee. Four persons were killed
and about 30 were arrested, including those named above.
Those arrested were taken to __rnak Police Headquarters. The rest of the
population of the village was made to stand in the open for the rest of the
day while soldiers searched the houses. It is alleged that the soldiers stole
or destroyed the villagers' private property. The villagers were then reportedly
held under house arrest for three days.
On 3 October 1992, _ehmus Yanalak, Mehmet Ürün, Abbas Elçi, Abdullah Elçi and
Sait Yak_emir were brought from __rnak Police Headquarters to the hospital
in Cizre. People who saw them in hospital reported that their faces were bloody
and that they were not able to walk without assistance. Another source stated
that the doctor who treated them wanted to write a medical report documenting
their injuries, but that the police prevented him from doing so. The doctor
reportedly complained to the local prosecutor and the local governor.
It is feared that those named above are being interrogated under torture at
__rnak Police Headquarters.
Turkey has a Kurdish ethnic minority which is estimated to number some 10 million
people, living mainly in southeastern Turkey. Since August 1984, when guerrillas
of the Kurdish Workers' Party (PKK) started armed attacks against the security
forces, an alarming number of reports of ill-treatment of detainees by the
security forces have come from the eastern and southeastern provinces.
Furthermore, allegations of over 100 extrajudicial executions have been
received during the past 12 months. More than 4,000 lives have so far been
lost on both sides and among the civilian population in the context of the
continuing fighting. Emergency legislation is in
force in 10 provinces in the region and the Emergency Legislation Governor
in Diyarbakir has extraordinary powers over three additional provinces.
Page 2 of EXTRA 79/92
Turkey ratified the European Convention for the Prevention of Torture on 25
February 1988 and the UN Convention Against Torture on 2 August 1988. However,
all information available to Amnesty International indicates that torture is
still widespread and systematic in Turkey. Most allegations relate to
ill-treatment of detainees in police custody during their initial interrogation
when they are usually denied access to relatives or a lawyer. Under current
legislation the maximum period a detainee may be held before being formally
charged or released is 24 hours; in cases involving three or more suspects
or due to the 'nature of the crime' it may be extended to 15 days. This period
may be extended to 30 days in areas under emergency legislation or martial
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Telegrams/telexes/faxes/express and airmail letters either
in English or your own language:
- urging that those detained in the village of Hisar, __rnak province, (name
five of those listed above) be given an opportunity to appoint and consult
with legal counsel, that they should be permitted access to their families,
and that they should not be subjected to torture or ill-treatment;
- expressing concern about the suppression of medical evidence and urging that
the complaint made by the doctor who examined _ehmus Yanalak, Mehmet Ürün,
Abbas Elçi, Abdullah Elçi and Sait Yak_emir be thoroughly investigated;
- requesting clarification of the circumstances of the killing of four persons
in their village, Hisar, on 30 October 1992.
1) Minister of Health:
Y_ld_r_m Aktuna Salutation: Dear Minister
Ministry of Health and Social Welfare
Sa_l_k ve Sosya Yard_m
06434 Ankara, Turkey
Telegrams: Health Minister, Ankara, Turkey
2) Gendarmerie General Commander:
Orgeneral E_ref Bitlis Salutation: Dear General
Jandarma Kuvvetleri Komutan_
Kuvvetleri Komutanl___
Ankara, Turkey
Telegrams: Jandarma Kuvvetleri Komutani, Ankara, Turkey
3) __rnak Police Headquarters:
__rnak Emniyet Müdürlü_ü Salutation: Dear Police Chief
Telegrams: __rnak Emniyet Müdürlü_ü, __rnak, Turkey
President of the Parliamentary Human Rights Commission
_nsan Haklar_ Ara_t_rma Komisyonu Ba_kan_
Ankara, Turkey
and to diplomatic representatives of Turkey accredited to your country.
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat,
or your section office, if sending appeals after 5 November 1992.

Voir le rapport en English