• Campagnes

Turkey: Further information on prisoner of conscience / fear of torture / fear for safety / medical concern: Ali Ekber Kaya, Huseyin Dagdeviren, Gulbahar Gunduz (f), Funda Sarigul (f), Veysel Yagan (f)

, N° d'index: EUR 44/077/1995

AI continues to be concerned about the health of Gulbahar Gunduz. Maltaya State Security Court reportedly ordered her to be transferred to Ankara for treatment when she appeared at the hearing on 25 May only half conscious and unable to walk. She was transferred to Ankara Central Closed Prison but it is alleged that she is still being denied proper medical treatment. A description of the torture she suffered, given by Gulbahar Gunduz herself, is included in this update.

EXTERNAL (for general distribution) AI Index: EUR 44/77/95
Distr: UA/SC
12 July 1995
Further information (6) on UA 81/95 (EUR 44/44/95, 28 March 1995) - and
follow-up(s): EUR 44/47/95, 31 March 1995; EUR 44/49/95, 6 April; EUR 44/62/95,
26 May 1995; EUR 44/63/95, 1 June, EUR 44/64/95, 2 June 1995 - Prisoner of
Conscience/Fear of Torture/Fear for Safety/Medical Concern
TURKEY Ali Ekber Kaya, president of the Human Rights
Association branch in Tunceli
Hüseyin Da_deviren
Gülbahar Gündüz (f)
Funda Sar_gül (f)
Veysel Ya_an (f)
Amnesty International continues to be concerned about the reported ill-health
of Gülbahar Gündüz. Malatya State Security Court had ordered her transfer to Ankara
for treatment when she had appeared at the hearing on 25 May only half conscious
and unable to walk. It is alleged that she is still being denied proper medical
Gülbahar Gündüz has given descriptions of the torture she suffered: "On the evening
of 21 March I was detained by Tunceli police in Tunceli. I was taken to the police
headquarters where I was subjected to every kind of torture and pressure. I was
continually subjected to sexual assault. As a result of the blows, I suffered
a sudden haemorrhage. They gave me electric shocks through my fingers and the
lobes of my ears. They sprayed me with water under pressure and attempted to
humiliate me by touching my genitals, saying: "We are going to fuck you, you are
going to confess". At each torture session, more than six police officers kicked
and punched me. They dragged me from one end of the corridor to the other by my
hair. As a result of the heavy blows, I suffered some kind of a seizure, and while
this was going on they continued to torture me. I was also having an asthma attack
and went into a coma. I was taken to hospital where during the night the police
arrived and assaulted me again in the examination room. They threatened me with
a pistol and when the doctor and nurses came because of my shouting, the police
went away. On 3 April I was released by the court, but rearrested after the police
protested to the prosecutor.
At the moment [26 April 1995] I am in Malatya E-Type Prison. As a result of the
seizure which I suffered I cannot walk. My kidneys and my urinary tract were badly
upset by the hunger strike. I cannot be treated in prison and I appeal ... for
help to get proper treatment. I also register a complaint [against the torturers].
The police threatened to make me a victim of an 'unsolved murder' because I refused
to make a statement to them."
According to reports since received, Gülbahar Gündüz was subsequently transferred
to Ankara Central Closed Prison but has not received serious treatment for her
condition since she arrived there. On 25 June she was not taken to court as
scheduled. However, her mother was able to see her on or around that date and
reported that her daughter was in a wheelchair and that her legs were badly swollen.
Gülbahar Gündüz' lawyer has submitted a petition to the authorities asking for
treatment for his client, but without success.
FURTHER RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send telegrams/faxes/express and airmail
- expressing concern about the continuing ill-health of Gülbahar Gündüz and the
reported denial of medical attention;
- urging the authorities to allow Gülbahar Gündüz to receive all medical attention
she may require;
- asking what progress the investigation has made into the torture allegations
raised by all five detainees.
Minister of Health and Social Welfare
Mr Do_an Baran
Ministry of Health and
Social Welfare
Sa_l_k ve Sosyal Yard_m
Ankara, Turkey
Telegrams: Health Minister, Ankara, Turkey
Faxes: +90 312 431 4879
Salutation: Dear Sir
Minister of Justice
Mr Mehmet Mo_ultay
Ministry of Justice
Adalet Bakanl___
06100 Ankara
Telegrams: Justice Minister, Ankara, Turkey
Faxes: +90 312 417 3954
Salutation: Dear Sir
Chief of Tunceli Police
Mr Süleyman Güleç
Tunceli Emniyet Müdürlü_ü
Tunceli, Turkey
Telegrams: Emniyet Muduru, Tunceli, Turkey
Salutation: Dear Sir
State Minister with responsibility for human rights
Mr Algan Hacalo_lu
Office of the Prime Minister
06573 Ankara, Turkey
Faxes: +90 312 417 0476
and to diplomatic representatives of Turkey accredited to your country.
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or
your section office, if sending appeals after 23 August 1995.

Dans quelle langue voulez-vous lire le rapport ?