Turkmenistan

981 results

  • Blog
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Killings and Disappearances

“Human beings have no value here”: Fifteen years on still waiting for answers

It was 8. 45pm when the phone rang. “Ali is no longer at Salfit, he’s escaped to Israel,” the hoarse voice of a Palestinian security officer said on the other end of the line. That phone call on 12 March 2002 was the last piece of official information the Al-Khdair family ever received about their son and brother, Ali. Fifteen years later, they are still waiting to find out whether Ali Al-Khdair is dead or alive and what really happened to him.

Date:
16 March 2017
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Detention

Israel: Detention of Palestinian journalist on hunger strike without charge ‘unjust and cruel’

The Israeli authorities’ administrative detention of Muhammed al-Qiq, a Palestinian journalist is unjust and cruel, said Amnesty International after a military judge approved an order confirming his detention for three months, which can be renewed indefinitely. Muhammed al-Qiq, who was placed in solitary confinement following his arrest, has been on hunger strike since 6 February in protest at his detention.

Date:
28 February 2017
  • Campaigns
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Human Rights Defenders and Activists

Israel/OPT: Human rights defenders signs plea bargain: Anas Barghouti

Human rights defender and former prisoner of conscience Anas Barghouti has agreed to a plea bargain to avoid prison. However, he remains subject to two suspended sentences should he be found to have violated the conditions of the plea deal by participating in protests in the next three years or being found to belong to the Palestinian Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine in the next five years.

Date:
22 February 2017
Ref:
MDE 15/5754/2017
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Armed Conflict

Trump must push for end to illegal Israeli settlements during meeting with Netanyahu

President Donald Trump must use his upcoming meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to make clear that the US government opposes the construction of Israeli settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, said Amnesty International in an open letter published today. The two men are due to meet at the White House tomorrow, Wednesday 15 February. Since President Trump’s inauguration last month, the Israeli authorities have announced plans to construct more than 6,200 new settlement homes, apparently emboldened by the prospect of a new ally in the White House.

Date:
14 February 2017
  • Research
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Exploitation of Natural Resources

Israel/OPT: Trump must oppose all Israeli settlements in meeting with Netanyahu

US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu are due to meet in Washington D. C. on Wednesday 15 February. Amnesty International calls on President Donald Trump to make it clear in this meeting that he opposes all Israeli settlement activity in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.

Date:
14 February 2017
Ref:
MDE 15/5693/2017
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Armed Conflict

Israel/OPT: Flurry of settlement activity shows flagrant disregard for international law

The Israeli authorities’ authorization of the construction of 3,000 further illegal settlement homes in the occupied West Bank today - the fourth such announcement within weeks - highlights their shocking willingness to flout international law, said Amnesty International. In the weeks prior to this the Israeli authorities announced plans to build 3,219 more homes in the occupied West Bank including 719 homes in East Jerusalem.

Date:
1 February 2017
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Unlawful Killings

Conviction of Israeli soldier must pave the way for justice for unlawful killings

The conviction of an Israeli soldier who shot dead a Palestinian man involved in a knife attack in Hebron as he lay wounded on the ground offers a small glimmer of hope amid the rampant impunity for unlawful killings in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, said Amnesty International today. The soldier, Elor Azaria, was found guilty of the manslaughter of Abed al-Fatah al-Sharif, one of two Palestinians believed to have been involved in the stabbing of an Israeli soldier on 24 March 2016 in Hebron, after a military court ruled unanimously that his actions violated the Israeli army’s rules of engagement.

Date:
4 January 2017
  • News
  • Middle East and North Africa
  • War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity

UN Security Council: Historic resolution calls on Israel to cease settlements

Following the United Nations Security Council’s adoption of a resolution calling on Israel to cease all settlement activities in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT), Sherine Tadros, Head of Amnesty International’s UN Office in New York, said: “At the close of a shameful year for the Security Council, where divisions repeatedly blocked the adoption of key resolutions to protect the most vulnerable, today’s decision to finally pass a resolution condemning illegal Israeli settlements is a welcome step.

Date:
23 December 2016
  • Campaigns
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Human Rights Defenders and Activists

Israel/OPT: Further information: Human rights defender's trial postponed: Anas Barghouti

A hearing on 6 December should have been the last opportunity for the Israeli military prosecution to produce the witnesses in the case against Palestinian lawyer – and former prisoner of conscience – Anas Barghouti. The hearing was again adjourned until 24 January despite the prosecution failing to bring the witnesses to court.

Date:
14 December 2016
Ref:
MDE 15/5329/2016
  • Campaigns
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Human Rights Defenders and Activists

Israel/OPT: Two Palestinian human rights defenders on trial: Farid al-Atrash and Issa Amro

Palestinian human rights defenders Farid al-Atrash and Issa Amro face charges in an Israeli military court relating to their rights to freedom of expression and assembly. Both face time in prison if found guilty. At a hearing on 23 November their lawyer asked for a number of the charges to be dropped and the hearing was adjourned until 21 December.

Date:
9 December 2016
Ref:
MDE 15/5294/2016
  • Campaigns
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Unlawful Detention

Israel/OPT: Further Information: Circus performer held in administrative detention: Mohammad Faisal Abu Sakha

The High Court of Israel accepted to review the case of Mohammad Faisal Abu Sakha but, in a 5 December hearing, his lawyer decided to withdraw the petition after the judges indicated that they believed there was enough “evidence” in a secret file to justify his detention. His current period of administrative detention will end on 12 December.

Date:
7 December 2016
Ref:
MDE 15/5283/2016