Turkmenistan

189 results

  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Prisoners of Conscience

Israel: Release Palestinian prisoner of conscience detained without charge or trial

The Israeli authorities must immediately and unconditionally release Ahmed Qatamesh, a 67-year-old Palestinian academic, writer and political analyst who has been arbitrarily detained under a three month administrative detention order, said Amnesty International. Ahmed Qatamesh was seized during a pre-dawn raid on his home on 14 May 2017. Three days later a military commander signed an administrative order to detain him for three months despite the fact that he has not been charged with a criminal offence.

Date:
24 May 2017
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Detention

Israel must end ‘unlawful and cruel’ policies towards Palestinian prisoners

Israel’s decades-long policy of detaining Palestinians from the occupied West Bank and Gaza in prisons inside Israel and depriving them of regular family visits is not only cruel but also a blatant violation of international law, said Amnesty International, ahead of a mass prisoner’s hunger strike beginning next week to mark Palestinian Prisoner’s Day on 17 April. Testimonies gathered by the organization from family members and  Palestinian prisoners detained in the Israeli prison system shed light on the suffering endured by families who in some cases have been deprived from seeing their detained relatives for many years.

Date:
13 April 2017
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Detention

Israel: Detention of Palestinian journalist on hunger strike without charge ‘unjust and cruel’

The Israeli authorities’ administrative detention of Muhammed al-Qiq, a Palestinian journalist is unjust and cruel, said Amnesty International after a military judge approved an order confirming his detention for three months, which can be renewed indefinitely. Muhammed al-Qiq, who was placed in solitary confinement following his arrest, has been on hunger strike since 6 February in protest at his detention.

Date:
28 February 2017
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Armed Conflict

Trump must push for end to illegal Israeli settlements during meeting with Netanyahu

President Donald Trump must use his upcoming meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to make clear that the US government opposes the construction of Israeli settlements in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, said Amnesty International in an open letter published today. The two men are due to meet at the White House tomorrow, Wednesday 15 February. Since President Trump’s inauguration last month, the Israeli authorities have announced plans to construct more than 6,200 new settlement homes, apparently emboldened by the prospect of a new ally in the White House.

Date:
14 February 2017
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Armed Conflict

Israel/OPT: Flurry of settlement activity shows flagrant disregard for international law

The Israeli authorities’ authorization of the construction of 3,000 further illegal settlement homes in the occupied West Bank today - the fourth such announcement within weeks - highlights their shocking willingness to flout international law, said Amnesty International. In the weeks prior to this the Israeli authorities announced plans to build 3,219 more homes in the occupied West Bank including 719 homes in East Jerusalem.

Date:
1 February 2017
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Unlawful Killings

Conviction of Israeli soldier must pave the way for justice for unlawful killings

The conviction of an Israeli soldier who shot dead a Palestinian man involved in a knife attack in Hebron as he lay wounded on the ground offers a small glimmer of hope amid the rampant impunity for unlawful killings in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, said Amnesty International today. The soldier, Elor Azaria, was found guilty of the manslaughter of Abed al-Fatah al-Sharif, one of two Palestinians believed to have been involved in the stabbing of an Israeli soldier on 24 March 2016 in Hebron, after a military court ruled unanimously that his actions violated the Israeli army’s rules of engagement.

Date:
4 January 2017
  • News
  • Middle East and North Africa
  • War Crimes and Crimes Against Humanity

UN Security Council: Historic resolution calls on Israel to cease settlements

Following the United Nations Security Council’s adoption of a resolution calling on Israel to cease all settlement activities in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT), Sherine Tadros, Head of Amnesty International’s UN Office in New York, said: “At the close of a shameful year for the Security Council, where divisions repeatedly blocked the adoption of key resolutions to protect the most vulnerable, today’s decision to finally pass a resolution condemning illegal Israeli settlements is a welcome step.

Date:
23 December 2016
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Armed Conflict

Israel/OPT: Pattern of unlawful killings reveals shocking disregard for human life

Nearly a year on from a bloody spike in violence in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT) Israeli forces continue to display an appalling disregard for human life by using reckless and unlawful lethal force against Palestinians, Amnesty International said today. In a memorandum sent to the Israeli authorities on 14 September, the organization has detailed 20 cases of apparently unlawful killings of Palestinians by Israeli forces seeking clarification about the status of investigations.

Date:
28 September 2016
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Justice Systems

Israel/OPT: ‘Secret trial’ of Gaza aid worker will not deliver justice

The Israeli authorities must ensure that the trial of a detained humanitarian worker employed by the charity World Vision is fair and open, said Amnesty International on the eve of his trial, amid reports that the proceedings are due to take place in secret. Mohammed al-Halabi, the manager of Gaza operations for the child-focused global development NGO, is facing 12 charges including being a member of a “terrorist organization” and siphoning off the charity’s funds for “terrorism” purposes.

Date:
29 August 2016
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Armed Conflict

Israel/OPT: Two years on still no justice for war crimes victims

“I cannot understand how a crime that took place in view of cameras, where the whole world saw how boys playing on the beach were massacred mercilessly, can pass like that without any criminals held to account. ” Sobhi Bakr, relative of four boys killed in an Israeli air strike on 16 July 2014. Tomorrow, 8 July 2016, marks the second anniversary of the start of a 50-day Israeli military offensive which brought unprecedented death and destruction to the Gaza Strip.

Date:
7 July 2016
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Detention

Israel renews detention without charge of Palestinian circus performer for further six months

The Israeli military today renewed for six months the detention of Palestinian circus performer Mohammad Faisal Abu Sakha, who has been held without charge since his arrest in December 2015, in a case that exemplifies the authorities’ arbitrary and repressive use of administrative detention, said Amnesty International. Mohammad Abu Sakha performs as a clown and teaches at the Palestinian Circus School in Birzeit, near Ramallah, where he specializes in working with children with learning difficulties.

Date:
13 June 2016
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Terrorism

Israel/OPT: Tel Aviv attack displays total disdain for human life

The deadly attack on civilians at a Tel Aviv shopping and restaurant complex last night displayed a stark contempt for human life, Amnesty International said. Two Palestinian gunmen opened fire at the Sarona market in Tel Aviv on Wednesday evening, killing four civilians and injuring others. Several of those wounded were still hospitalized on Thursday morning. Israeli forces apprehended the attackers, wounding one of them.

Date:
9 June 2016
  • News
  • Middle East and North Africa
  • Armed Conflict

Israel/OPT: Suspected extrajudicial execution of Palestinian caught on video

An Israeli soldier has been filmed shooting dead a Palestinian man in Hebron as he lay wounded on the ground following his alleged role in a knife attack earlier today. The man, Abed al-Fatah al-Sharif, was one of two Palestinians believed to have been involved in the stabbing of an Israeli soldier. Footage of the shooting was released by the Israeli human rights organization B’Tselem. “The shooting of a wounded and incapacitated person, even if they have been involved in an attack, has absolutely no justification and must be prosecuted as a potential war crime,” said Philip Luther, Director of the Middle East and North Africa Programme at Amnesty International.

Date:
24 March 2016
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Armed Conflict

Israel/OPT: All deliberate attacks on civilians reprehensible and unjustified

There can be no justification for a spate of deliberate deadly attacks by Palestinians on civilians over the past week in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories which displayed a clear contempt for human life, said Amnesty International. In the latest attacks on Thursday, Palestinians from the occupied West Bank killed five civilians: three Israelis, a US national and a Palestinian, in two separate incidents.

Date:
20 November 2015
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • Armed Conflict

Israel/OPT: Investigate apparent extrajudicial execution at Hebron hospital

The killing of a 28-year-old Palestinian man by Israeli forces during a raid on al-Ahli hospital in Hebron in the early hours of Thursday morning may amount to an extrajudicial execution, Amnesty International said today. Eyewitnesses report that a large group of Israeli soldiers and police entered the hospital at 2. 43am disguised as Palestinian civilians, with some wearing keffiyehs and fake beards and another being pushed in a wheelchair dressed as a pregnant woman.

Date:
12 November 2015
  • News
  • Israel and Occupied Palestinian Territories
  • International Justice

New Zealand: Misguided Israeli-Palestinian peace resolution threatens justice for war crimes

A draft United Nations Security Council resolution prepared by New Zealand which seeks to promote renewed Israeli-Palestinian negotiations by cutting out the International Criminal Court is seriously misguided, Amnesty International said today. The draft resolution calls on Israel and Palestine to “to refrain from referring… a situation concerning Israel or the Occupied Palestinian Territories to the International Criminal Court.

Date:
10 November 2015