Turkmenistan

132 results

  • News
  • Middle East and North Africa
  • Censorship and Free Speech

Bahrain: Human rights defender charged with terrorism

The Bahraini authorities’ decision to bring terrorism charges against Ebtissam al-Saegh, a human rights defender detained since 3 July 2017, is a chilling blow to human rights in the country, said Amnesty International. Ebtisam al-Saegh was previously tortured, including by being sexually assaulted by members of the Bahrain National Security agency while she was held in custody last May. “Ebtisam al-Saegh is a prisoner of conscience who must be immediately and unconditionally released.

Date:
19 July 2017
  • News
  • Bahrain
  • Detention

Bahrain: Jail term for human rights defender Nabeel Rajab exposes authorities’ relentless campaign to wipe out dissent

The sentencing of human rights defender Nabeel Rajab, in his absence, to two years in prison for TV interviews is the latest shocking display of zero tolerance for freedom of expression by the Bahraini authorities, Amnesty International said today. “Imprisoning Nabeel Rajab simply for sharing his opinion is a flagrant violation of human rights, and an alarming sign that the Bahraini authorities will go to any length to silence criticism,” said Salil Shetty, Amnesty International’s Secretary General.

Date:
10 July 2017
  • News
  • Middle East and North Africa
  • Detention

Bahrain: Woman human rights defender at high risk of torture, including sexual assault

In response to news about the arrest of human rights defender Ebtisam al-Saegh by the Bahraini authorities on the night of 3 July 2017 Samah Hadid, Director for Campaigns at Amnesty International in the Middle-East said:  “The Bahraini authorities must immediately and unconditionally release Ebtisam al-Saegh whose only crime is speaking up against a government committed to crushing all forms of dissent.

Date:
4 July 2017
  • News
  • Qatar
  • Discrimination

Gulf / Qatar dispute: Human dignity trampled and families facing uncertainty as sinister deadline passes

Thousands of people in the Gulf face the prospect of their lives being further disrupted and their families torn apart as new arbitrary measures announced by Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the context of their dispute with Qatar are due to come into force from today, said Amnesty International. The three Gulf states had given their citizens the deadline of 19 June to leave Qatar and return to their respective countries or face fines and other unspecified consequences.

Date:
19 June 2017
  • News
  • Bahrain
  • Censorship and Free Speech

Families ripped apart, freedom of expression under attack amid political dispute in Gulf

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are toying with the lives of thousands of Gulf residents as part of their dispute with Qatar, splitting up families and destroying peoples’ livelihoods and education, Amnesty International said today. The organization’s researchers have interviewed dozens of people whose human rights have been affected by a series of sweeping measures imposed in an arbitrary manner by the three Gulf countries in their dispute with Qatar.

Date:
9 June 2017
  • News
  • Middle East and North Africa
  • Detention

Bahrain heading for ‘total suppression’ of human rights as secular opposition group banned

Bahrain’s dissolution of a major political opposition society is the latest troubling move in its blatant campaign to end all criticism of the government, Amnesty International said. The secular National Democratic Action Society (Wa’ad) was dissolved today after having issued a statement in February, saying that Bahrain was suffering from a “constitutional political crisis” amid continuous human rights violations.

Date:
31 May 2017
  • News
  • Middle East and North Africa
  • Detention

Bahrain: At least one dead and hundreds injured as government violently cracks down on opposition

Updates May 24: The Bahraini authorities have stated that 5 men were killed in the violent crackdown on Duraz. The Bahraini security forces used excessive force against protesters in the village of Duraz, the majority of whom were peaceful, as part of an ongoing crack down on the village which has been under siege by the authorities for 11 months, according to evidence uncovered by Amnesty International.

Date:
23 May 2017
  • News
  • Bahrain

Bahrain: First civilian case referred to military court

Bahrain’s authorities have referred a civilian to trial before a military court for the first time since 2011, after the King of Bahrain ratified a disastrous constitutional amendment in April 2017. Bahrain’s public prosecution referred the case of Fadhel Sayed Abbas Hasan Radhi, a victim of enforced disappearance, to the military court earlier today. “This is a shameful move by the authorities designed to strike fear in the heart of the population.

Date:
9 May 2017
  • News
  • Bahrain
  • Human Rights Defenders and Activists

Bahrain: 32 dissidents rounded up within days in clampdown ahead of UN human rights session

Bahrain’s authorities have dramatically escalated their crackdown against perceived critics with 32 people summoned for questioning by the Public Prosecution within the past five days and charges brought against the majority of them, said Amnesty International, less than a week ahead of the country’s UN human rights review session in Geneva on 1 May. Those summoned include human rights defenders, political activists, lawyers, a journalist and relatives of victims of human rights violations, raising fears that they are being targeted as part of a deliberate attempt to stop them – and deter others - from criticizing Bahrain ahead of and during its upcoming review at the UN Human Rights Council.

Date:
25 April 2017
  • News
  • Bahrain
  • Justice Systems

Bahrain: Disastrous move towards patently unfair military trials of civilians

The King of Bahrain ratified a constitutional amendment today that paves the way for military trials of civilians, in yet another example of Bahrain’s efforts to dismantle access to justice and fair trial, said Amnesty International. “This constitutional amendment is a disaster for the future of fair trials and justice in Bahrain. It is part of a broader pattern where the government uses the courts to crackdown on all forms of opposition at the expense of human rights,” said Lynn Maalouf, head of research at Amnesty International’s regional office in Beirut.

Date:
3 April 2017
  • Article
  • Bahrain
  • Internet and Social Media

Bahrain - Prominent opposition figure charged for tweets ‘inciting hatred’ against government

The Bahraini authorities have once again displayed their ruthless determination to silence activists and crush all signs of dissent by charging prominent political figure Ebrahim Sharif with “inciting hatred against the regime” in a series of tweets, said Amnesty International. Ebrahim Sharif, former Secretary General of secular opposition party, the National Democratic Action Society (Wa’ad), was summoned for questioning this morning by the prosecution unit for terrorist crimes.

Date:
20 March 2017
  • News
  • Middle East and North Africa
  • Demonstrations

Bahrain: Fears of further violent crackdown on uprising anniversary

Authorities in Bahrain must refrain from using excessive force against protesters, Amnesty International urged as mass protests are under way on 14 February, to mark the sixth anniversary of the 2011 uprising. Bahrain is on the verge of a human rights crisis, as recent weeks have seen a pattern of increased repression, characterized by violence against protesters, executions, arbitrary detentions and a crackdown on freedom of expression.

Date:
14 February 2017
  • News
  • Bahrain
  • Human Rights Defenders and Activists

Bahrain: Postponement of Nabeel Rajab’s trial for sixth time is blatant harassment

In response to the news today that the Bahraini authorities have postponed the verdict in the case of prominent human rights defender Nabeel Rajab, Samah Hadid, Deputy Director of Campaigns at Amnesty International’s Regional office in Beirut said: “The Bahraini authorities must stop playing games with Nabeel Rajab’s freedom. He has been arrested and released repeatedly over the past five years and has been banned from leaving the country.

Date:
23 January 2017
  • News
  • Bahrain
  • Death Penalty

Bahrain: Human rights on the brink of crisis

Bahraini authorities must immediately commute the death sentences of two men at imminent risk of execution, Amnesty International said today, and warned that the harsh response to protests against three executions carried out by firing squad on 15 January risks plunging the country into a human rights crisis. Amnesty International is urging Bahrain’s authorities to immediately commute the death sentences of Mohamad Ramadhan and Husain Ali’ Moosa, who were sentenced to death in December 2014 following a bombing in the village of al-Deir that killed a police officer in February of that year.

Date:
18 January 2017
  • Article
  • Bahrain
  • Death Penalty

Two Bahraini Men at Imminent and Renewed Risk of Execution

Mohamed Ramadhan Issa Ali Hussain and Hussain Ali Moosa Hussain Mohamed are at imminent risk of execution following the execution of three men on 15 January 2017. Their death sentences were upheld by the Court of Cassation on 16 November 2015 and have been passed to the King who has the authority to ratify the sentences, commute them or grant a pardon. Mohamed Ramadhan and Hussain Ali Moosa are now at imminent and renewed risk of execution.

Date:
18 January 2017
  • News
  • Bahrain
  • Death Penalty

Bahrain: First executions in more than six years a shocking blow to human rights

In response to the execution today of three men accused of killing three police officers in Bahrain Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for Campaigns in Beirut, Samah Hadid said: “This is a dark day for human rights in Bahrain. These executions – the first to be carried out since 2010 - are a deeply regressive step for a country whose authorities’ have repeatedly trumpeted their commitment to human rights.

Date:
15 January 2017