of President Rakhmon Nabiyev, a former Communist Party leader. This forced
the President to include opposition Democratic Party and Islamic Renaissance
Party representatives in a coalition government. Nevertheless, fighting
spread to southern districts, and escalated after Nabiyev was forced by his
opponents to resign in September. In an attempt to stop the civil war the
government of acting President Akbarsho Iskandarov resigned in November and
a special session of parliament, still communist dominated, was convened in
the city of Khodzhent. This dismissed Iskandarov and installed Imamali
Rakhmonov as parliamentary speaker and head of state. Forces apparently
supporting the Islamic elements in the outgoing government refused to relinquish
control of Dushanbe, which was
Page 2 of UA 61/93
besieged by forces loyal to the new government created by the Khodzhent meeting.
After fierce fighting the city fell on 10 December.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send telegrams/faxes/express and airmail letters
either in English, Russian or in your own language:
- expressing concern for the safety of Mirbobo Mirrahimov, Akhmadsho Kamilov,
Khayriddin Kasymov and Khurshed Nazarov who were arrested in January and are
being held in SIZO number one of the Ministry of Internal Affairs in Dushanbe;
- urging that these four men are not subject to torture or any other form
- appealing for them to be granted access to lawyers and to medical treatment;
- asking for further information about the charges against them.
1) Chairman of the Supreme Council, Imamali Rakhmonov
Verkhovny sovet Respubliki Tadzhikistan
Predsedatelyu Rakhmonovu I.
Telegrams:Tadzhikistan, Dushanbe, Predsedatelyu VS Rakhmonovu I.
Faxes:+ 3772 22 69 71
Salutation: Dear Chairman
2) Procurator General of Tadzhikistan, Mamadnazar Soliyev
Prokuratura Respubliki Tadzhikistan
Generalnomu prokuroru Soliyevu M.
Telegrams:Tadzhikistan, Dushanbe, Gen. Prokuroru Soliyevu M.
Salutation: Dear Procurator General
3) Minister of Internal Affairs, Yakub Salimov
MVD Respubliki Tadzhikistan
Ministru Salimovu Ya.
Telegrams: Tadzhikistan, Dushanbe, MVD, Ministru Salimovu Ya.