Rapport 2013
La situation des droits humains dans le monde

12 septembre 2012

USA: Guantánamo death highlights urgent need to end indefinite detention

USA: Guantánamo death highlights urgent need to end indefinite detention
Yemeni national Adnan Latif was the ninth detainee to die in US custody at the Guantánamo Bay naval base.

Yemeni national Adnan Latif was the ninth detainee to die in US custody at the Guantánamo Bay naval base.

© US DoD


En un coup d'œil

  • January 2002 – First detainees transferred to US Naval Base at Guantánamo Bay in Cuba
  • June 2006 – Three detainees, two Saudi Arabian nationals, Mane’i bin Shaman al-‘Otaybi and Yasser Talal al-Zahrani,and one Yemeni, Salah Ahmed al-Salami, die at Guantánamo, reportedly by suicide
  • May 2007 – Saudi Arabian detainee Abdul Rahman Ma’ath Thafir al-Amri dies, reportedly by suicide
  • December 2007 – Afghan detainee Abdul Razzak Hekmati dies, reportedly of cancer
  • June 2009 – Yemeni detainee Mohammed Ahmed Abdullah Saleh al-Hanashi dies, reportedly by suicide
  • February 2011 – Afghan detainee Awal Gul dies, reportedly of natural causes
  • May 2011 – Afghan detainee Inayatollah dies, reportedly by suicide
  • September 2012 – Yemeni detainee Adnan Farhan Abdul Latif dies
Once and for all, the US military must bring the human rights vacuum at Guantánamo to an end – the detainees must be brought to fair trial in independent courts or released and trials by military commission should be abandoned.
Source: 
Rob Freer, Amnesty International’s USA Researcher
Date: 
Me, 12/09/2012

The death of a Yemeni man in his 11th year of detention without charge or trial at the Guantánamo Bay naval base highlights the urgent need for the US authorities to resolve outstanding detainee cases and close the detention centre once and for all, Amnesty International said.

On Monday US military authorities announced that a detainee had died at Guantánamo on the afternoon of 8 September, but withheld the man’s identity and nationality pending notification of his family. It has since been confirmed that the detainee was Adnan Farhan Abdul Latif, a Yemeni national who had been held in the base since January 2002. He was the ninth Guantánamo inmate known to have died in custody in the decade since the US military began detention operations there.

Amnesty International calls on the US authorities to urgently resolve the cases of the 167 men still held at Guantánamo, in ways fully consistent with international human rights principles.

“Once and for all, the US military must bring the human rights vacuum at Guantánamo to an end – the detainees must be brought to fair trial in independent courts or released and trials by military commission should be abandoned,” said Rob Freer, Amnesty International’s USA Researcher.

“The US authorities must allow a fully independent, civilian-led investigation into Adnan Latif’s death, and provide his family with full information about the findings and any other steps taken. The evidence from the autopsy and the investigation should be preserved.”

A Naval Criminal Investigation Service (NCIS) investigation has been initiated to determine the cause and circumstances of the death. According to the US military authorities, six of the previous eight deaths among the Guantánamo detainees had been the result of suicide while two died of natural causes.

Latif had been held without charge or trial for nearly 11 years, after Pakistani police arrested him near the border with Afghanistan in December 2001.

Later that month he was handed over to US authorities, who transferred him to Guantánamo on 17 January 2002. He was held in the naval base from then on.

During the decade plus that Latif spent in US custody there were ongoing concerns about his mental and physical health and, according to his lawyer, he spent most of the time in solitary confinement.

He had previously made a number of suicide attempts, and including by slitting one of his wrists during a meeting with a lawyer in 2009.

He had told lawyers that his circumstances “made death more desirable than living”, and complained of chronic back pain, and other ailments – the US military never complied with his request for a hearing aid to help with deafness in his left ear following a 1994 car accident.

In July 2010, a US federal judge ruled that Adnan Latif’s detention was unlawful, even under the broad authority claimed by the government, and that he should be released. The Obama administration appealed and in October 2011, the Court of Appeals overturned the ruling. In a meeting with his lawyer 11 days later, Adnan Latif said “I am a prisoner of death”.

In May 2012, he went on hunger strike to protest his ongoing detention. US military authorities said he ended the hunger strike on 1 June 2012.

Amnesty International reiterates that the families of those who have died at Guantánamo should have access to remedy, including compensation, for any human rights violations to which their relatives were subjected during their years in US custody, including arbitrary detention and torture or other cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

Thème

Détention 
Conditions de détention 
Procès et systèmes juridiques 

Pays

États-Unis 

Région ou pays

Amériques 

Campagnes

Pas de sécurité sans droits humains 

Suivre #Guantanamo @amnestyonline sur Twitter

Nouvelles

10 juillet 2014

Amnesty International rend publics les noms de certaines des personnes soupçonnées d’avoir ordonné ou commis les atrocités qui se déroulent actuellement en République... Pour en savoir plus »

05 juin 2014

Les manifestants descendant dans la rue au Brésil durant la Coupe du monde risquent d’être victimes de violences policières et militaires aveugles, les autorités renforçant les... Pour en savoir plus »

03 juin 2014

Dans la deuxième partie de cette série en deux volets, deux personnes dont le nom figurait sur la liste des « personnes les plus recherchées » en Chine pour leur rôle dans le... Pour en savoir plus »

11 juillet 2014

Sasha, militant pro-ukrainien âgé de 19 ans, a été enlevé par des séparatistes à Louhansk et frappé à maintes reprises pendant 24 heures.

Pour en savoir plus »
07 juillet 2014

La condamnation à 15 ans de prison d’un éminent avocat saoudien, défenseur des droits humains, est un nouveau coup porté au militantisme pacifique et à la liberté d’... Pour en savoir plus »