Informe anual 2013
El estado de los derechos humanos en el mundo

1 octubre 2012

Bahrain must quash convictions of protest medics

Bahrain must quash convictions of protest medics
Bahrain protests news

Bahrain protests news

© AFP/Getty


The Bahraini government has shown once more it is not serious about human rights and accountability for past violations.
Fuente: 
Ann Harrison, Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa Deputy Programme Director
Fecha: 
Lun, 01/10/2012

The convictions of nine health professionals sentenced to prison terms for their role in last year's pro-democracy uprising in Bahrain must be quashed by the authorities, Amnesty International said as it called on the Kingdom not to return them to jail.

On Monday Bahrain’s Court of Cassation in Manama rejected appeals by the doctors and nurses against their convictions and upheld their sentences, which ranged from one month to five years in prison, reduced in June by an appeal court from five to 15 years’ imprisonment.

“With today’s verdict, the Bahraini government has shown once more it is not serious about human rights and accountability for past violations,” said Ann Harrison, Amnesty International’s Middle East and North Africa Deputy Programme Director.

“The convictions against these doctors and nurses must be quashed immediately and all charges against them relating to their role in last year’s pro-reform demonstrations must be dropped.”

Sentences were upheld against Ali 'Esa Mansoor al'Ekri (five years), Ebrahim Abdullah Ebrahim al-Dumistani (three years), Ghassan Ahmed ‘Ali Dhaif (one year), Sa'eed Mothaher Habib al Samahiji (one year), Mahmood Ashghar 'Abdulwahab (six months), Dhia Ibrahim Ja'far (two months), Bassim Ahmed 'Ali Dhaif (one month), Nader Mohammed Hassan Dewani (one month) and Abdulkhaleq 'Ali Hussain al-'Oraibi (one month).

The nine are currently not in detention, but six of them who have not completed their sentences face being sent back to prison at ay time.

The six, who have been sentenced to between two months and five years, would be prisoners of conscience if they are jailed, imprisoned solely for peacefully exercising their rights to freedom of expression and assembly.

Although the nine were charged with a variety of serious offences, according to Amnesty International’s research findings, none of them used or advocated violence.

The organization believes the real reason why the doctors and nurses were arrested and tried is because they publicly denounced the excessive force used against protesters during pro-reform demonstrations last year in interviews with international media.

No evidence has been presented in court to prove that the nine committed any internationally recognizable crime and the organization believes the accusations against them are unfounded.

Today’s decision by the Court of Cassation comes only days after a defence lawyers’ request for the release of their client - prominent human rights defender Nabeel Rajab- was rejected and after another human rights activist, Zainab al-Khawaja, was sentenced to two months in prison for tearing up a picture of the King of Bahrain.

They are both prisoners of conscience, imprisoned solely for exercising their right to freedom of expression, association and assembly.

On 19 September Bahrain’s government accepted more than 140 out of the 176 recommendations stemming from the Universal Periodic Review before the Human Rights Council in Geneva.

The recommendations included measures aimed at releasing prisoners of conscience, bolstering fair trial guarantees and investigating human rights violations committed during and after last year’s massive pro-reform protests.

“The fact that all these convictions have been upheld while prisoners of conscience  remain behind bars highlights the lack of real commitment from the Bahraini government to fully meet the promises made less than two weeks ago before the Human Rights Council in Geneva,” said Harrison.

Meanwhile, a trial began on Monday of two police officers accused of mistreating some of the doctors and nurses while they were detained in 2011, although the pair were not present in court.

The medics and their lawyers did not receive any official notification about that trial, learning of it through other sources.

The defendants are believed to be on trial for mistreating the medics, but it is unclear whether they have been charged with subjecting them to torture.

The government had previously announced that formal charges had been brought against  another five police officers in relation to the case, however it is unclear when their trial will start.

An investigation into the allegations of torture is believed to have been carried out, but no findings are known to have been made public.

País

Bahréin 

Región

Oriente Medio y Norte de África 

Tema

Libertad de expresión 
Medical And Health 
Presos y presas de conciencia 
Tortura y malos tratos 

@amnestyonline on twitter

Noticias

22 julio 2014

Mientras en Londres se reúnen hoy activistas para debatir sobre estrategias para abordar la mutilación genital femenina, comunidades de todo Sierra Leona adoptan un enfoque... Más »

04 septiembre 2014

Amnistía Internacional lleva muchos años investigando y documentando el uso de la tortura en México. A continuación, ofrecemos algunos datos alarmantes:

Más »
03 junio 2014

En la segunda de una serie de dos partes, dos de las personas cuyos nombres estaban entre los “más buscados” a causa de su papel en las protestas de 1989 en Tiananmen cuentan... Más »

11 julio 2014

Sasha, activista ucraniano de 19 años, fue secuestrado a punta de pistola por separatistas en Luhansk y golpeado una y otra vez durante 24 horas.

Más »
03 septiembre 2014

La decapitación del periodista estadounidense Steven Sotloff por militantes del Estado Islámico es el último de la serie de crímenes de guerra que están cometiendo los grupos... Más »