Documento - UA 324/92 - Turkey: alleged ill-treatment / hunger-strike: Faruk Tarla, Huseyin Kurt, Huseyin Akduman, Ismet Kalabaktas, Ercan Karatas, Deniz Sarikaya, Kadir Aksu, Aysel Erdem
EXTERNAL (for general distribution)AI Index: EUR 44/102/92
UA 324/92Alleged Ill-Treatment/Hunger-strike21 October 1992
TURKEY: Faruk Tarla
Deniz Sarıkaya, aged 17,
Kadir Aksu, aged 16
Aysel Erdem (female), aged 14
On the evening of 14 September 1992, political prisoners protested against the reduction in their exercise periods by refusing to leave the exercise yard of Buca Closed Prison in Izmir. They were reportedly beaten by more than a hundred gendarmerie and prison guards in the presence of the prison prosecutor and prison officials. More than 58 prisoners were injured, at least five seriously. They did not reportedly receive medical treatment until the following day. Those injured included Faruk Tarla (a broken rib), Hüseyin Kurt (a broken leg), Hüseyin Akduman (a broken rib), Ismet Kalabaktaş (broken nose), and Ercan Karataş (a broken arm). In addition to the beating, the prisoners' belongings were allegedly damaged or destroyed and their money and valuables taken. On the night of 15 September, the prisoners were allegedly beaten again by prison guards.
Since then more than 100 prisoners, including those named above, have been on a hunger-strike in protest at the ill-treatment. The hunger-strike is now in its 37th day. Fourteen of the hunger-strikers, including Faruk Tarla and Deniz Sarıkaya, are in a serious condition and have been transferred to hospital where they have reportedly refused treatment. There is fear for their lives.
The prisoners have made a number of demands concerning better prison conditions which are said to already exist in other prisons. They have also demanded that "our possessions stolen on 14, 15, 16, 17 September must be returned to us, damage compensated, and the torturers who attacked us brought to trial". According to a newspaper report of 22 September, the Izmir Public Prosecutor was investigating the incident, but to date no further action appears to have been taken to bring those responsible to justice.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Telegrams/telexes/faxes/express and airmail letters either in English or in your own language:
- expressing concern about the alleged ill-treatment of political prisoners at Buca Closed Prison in Izmir on 14 and 15 September 1992 leaving 58 prisoners injured, some severely;
- expressing concern that more than 100 prisoners have since been on hunger-strike to protest against the alleged ill-treatment and that some are now believed to be in a very serious and weak condition;
- seeking assurances that they are receiving proper medical care and attention;
- noting that the alleged ill-treatment is reportedly being investigated by the Izmir Public Prosecutor;
- asking that the findings be made public as soon as possible;
- urging that those responsible for the ill-treatment are brought to justice.
Page 2 of UA 324/92
1) Minister of Justice:
Mr Seyfi Oktay
06659 Ankara, Turkey
Telegrams: Justice Minister, Ankara, Turkey
Faxes: +90 4 425 40 66
Salutation: Dear Minister
2) Prime Minister:
Mr Süleyman Demirel
Office of the Prime Minister
06573 Ankara, Turkey
Telegrams: Prime Minister, Ankara, Turkey
Telexes: 44061/44062/44063 bbmt tr
42099 basb tr
42875 bbk tr
Faxes: +90 4 417 04 76
+90 4 230 88 96
Salutation: Dear Prime Minister
1) Cumhuriyet Newspaper
Türkocağı Cad. 39/41
2) President of the Parliamentary Human Rights Commission
İnsan Hakları Araştırma Komisyonu Başkanı
and to diplomatic representatives of Turkey accredited to your country.
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or your section office, if sending appeals after 2 December 1992.