Annual Report 2013
The state of the world's human rights

19 September 2013

Zimbabwe must review police misconduct after 21 activists cleared in murder case

Zimbabwe must review police misconduct after 21 activists cleared in murder case
Mourners demonstrate on August 14, 2013 during the burial in Harare of activist Rebecca Mafikeni.

Mourners demonstrate on August 14, 2013 during the burial in Harare of activist Rebecca Mafikeni.

© JEKESAI NJIKIZANA/AFP/Getty Images


This acquittal of the 21 activists is a positive development – Amnesty International has always believed that most, if not all, of the accused had been arrested as a result of a politicized investigation into the death of the police officer
Source: 
Noel Kututwa, southern Africa director at Amnesty International
Date: 
Thu, 19/09/2013

Today’s acquittal of 21 human rights and opposition activists by Zimbabwe’s High Court leaves the authorities with serious questions to answer about police misconduct in the aftermath of a police officer’s murder, Amnesty International said.

"This acquittal of the 21 activists is a positive development – Amnesty International has always believed that most, if not all, of the accused had been arrested as a result of a politicized investigation into the death of the police officer,” said Noel Kututwa, southern Africa director at Amnesty International.

"This tragic loss of a police officer’s life could have been professionally investigated without the human rights violations that have now tainted it. Police investigations must be competent, thorough, prompt, and impartial.”

Seven activists from Morgan Tsvangirai’s opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC-T) remain on trial over the murder of police officer Petros Mutedza in the Harare suburb of Glen View in 2011.

The acquittals came as the state closed its case against the 29 activists accused of the murder. Many of them spent more than a year in custody following their arrest in May 2011, and one, Rebecca Mafukeni, died on remand in prison. 

It is widely believed that most of the suspects were arrested solely because they were known MDC-T activists living in Glen View at the time of Petros Mutedza’s death.

Among those acquitted today was human rights activist Cynthia Manjoro. She was granted bail in October 2012 after a state witness said that she had been arrested and detained so as to lure  another suspect who was her friend to come forward and hand themselves to the police. The alleged suspect remains at large.

Two other detainees, Solomon Madzore, the MDC-T’s Youth Assembly president and Taruvinga Magaya were also granted bail on 13 November 2012. Five others, including the late Rebecca Mafukeni, remained in custody throughout the trial.

"We urge Zimbabwe’s new government to end the politicization of policing – for too long it has been used as a tool to stifle political opponents and human rights defenders,” said Noel Kututwa.

Amnesty International calls on Zimbabwe to uphold all the rights in the new constitution which came into law in May 2013, including the right for people to belong to political parties of their choice and to freedom of association.

Issue

Activists 
Death In Custody 
Detention 
Law Enforcement 
Trials And Legal Systems 

Country

Zimbabwe 

Region

Africa 

@amnestyonline on twitter

News

24 November 2014

A Belgian mining company, Groupe Forrest International, has consistently lied about the bulldozing of hundreds of homes in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and... Read more »

28 November 2014

The State of Texas should immediately halt its unconstitutional and shameful plans to execute a man with severe mental illness, said Amnesty International with the scheduled... Read more »

28 November 2014

Hong Kong’s police chief must urgently stamp out any arbitrary and excessive use of force by police officers, with thousands of pro-democracy protesters... Read more »

27 November 2014

Raymond Gûreme experienced years of abuse at the hands of the Nazis in France for being a Traveller. Now, seven decades later, he lives like many... Read more »

27 November 2014

The Egyptian authorities must halt the arbitrary demolition of hundreds of homes and mass forced evictions under way in Rafah, North Sinai in order to create a buffer zone... Read more »