Annual Report 2013
The state of the world's human rights

30 April 2012

Bahrain urged to release Al-Khawaja as appeal of activists announced

Bahrain urged to release Al-Khawaja as appeal of activists announced
The case of al-Khawaha has become a rallying point for other activists in the country.

The case of al-Khawaha has become a rallying point for other activists in the country.

© AFP/Getty Images


Al-Khawaja and the 13 other activists should not even be on trial in the first place, let alone tried in a military court.
Source: 
Ann Harrison, Amnesty International’s Deputy Programme Director for the Middle East and North Africa

A Bahraini court has announced that prominent activist Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja and 13 opposition activists jailed for their role in anti-government protests last year will be granted an appeal, prompting Amnesty International to renew its call for their immediate release.

The appeal will take place in a civil court. The sentences imposed on Al-Khawaja and 20 other activists, seven of them tried in absentia, have however not been quashed. Fourteen of the activists, including Al-Khawaja, might all remain in custody for the duration of their appeal, except for one.

The Court of Cassation said Al-Hur Yousef al-Somaikh’s original sentence was flawed and it was reduced from two years to six months imprisonment. The activist is expected to be released today.

“Abdulhadi Al-Khawaja and the 13 other activists – who are all civilians - should not even be on trial in the first place, let alone tried in a military court” said Ann Harrison, Amnesty International’s Deputy Programme Director for the Middle East and North Africa.

“They have done nothing but peacefully express their point of view and must be released immediately.”

Amnesty International considers Al-Khawaja and the 13 other prominent opposition activists held with him to be prisoners of conscience, held for peacefully exercising their rights to freedom of expression and assembly.

Al-Khawaja’s health has seriously deteriorated since he began a hunger strike some three months ago in protest at his unfair imprisonment.

His family visited him in hospital on Sunday and have told Amnesty International that he has been force-fed.

He explained to his family that on 23 April, a nurse gave him an anaesthetic. When he woke up, he had a tube going from his nose to his stomach feeding him liquids.

The tube to the stomach was taken out last Friday. He is currently on an intravenous drip and drinking juice.

He had apparently asked the doctor several times to withdraw the tube but his requests were refused.

He also repeatedly asked to see his lawyer and his lawyer has submitted formal requests for a visit; this has been denied for weeks.

Al-Khawaja, a former protection co-ordinator with Irish human rights NGO Front Line Defenders, was arrested in April 2011 and accused of being one of the leaders of anti-government protests. He was tortured in custody and sentenced to life imprisonment by a military court in a grossly unfair trial last June. Amnesty International opposes trials of civilians before military courts in all circumstances

Issue

Activists 
Freedom Of Expression 
MENA unrest 
Prisoners Of Conscience 

Country

Bahrain 

Region

Middle East And North Africa 

@amnestyonline on twitter

News

24 November 2014

A Belgian mining company, Groupe Forrest International, has consistently lied about the bulldozing of hundreds of homes in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and... Read more »

27 November 2014

Threats and killings coupled with the weak implementation of flawed legislation are scuppering the Colombian government’s promise to return millions of hectares of land... Read more »

26 November 2014

The prison sentence for blasphemy handed down today by a court in Pakistan against four people including the owner of a major private TV channel and one of its star... Read more »

27 November 2014

Raymond Gûreme experienced years of abuse at the hands of the Nazis in France for being a Traveller. Now, seven decades later, he lives like many... Read more »

27 November 2014

The Egyptian authorities must halt the arbitrary demolition of hundreds of homes and mass forced evictions under way in Rafah, North Sinai in order to create a buffer zone... Read more »