Annual Report 2013
The state of the world's human rights

20 June 2011

Guatemala arrests former general for genocide

Guatemala arrests former general for genocide

Guatemalan authorities must ensure that all those responsible for atrocities during the country’s internal armed conflict are identified and brought to justice, Amnesty International has said after a former military chief was arrested in Guatemala City.

An investigation began today into retired general Héctor Mario López Fuentes, 81, who was arrested on Friday. He has been charged with genocide and crimes against humanity for his role in massacres in indigenous communities nearly three decades ago.

“The arrest of Héctor Mario López Fuentes is a major step towards justice for the hundreds of thousands of victims of grave human rights abuses during Guatemala’s civil war,” said Sebastian Elgueta, Central America Researcher at Amnesty International.

“But most of those who planned and carried out the worst abuses are still at large and must be brought to justice.”

Héctor Mario López Fuentes is accused of being the intellectual author of 12 massacres that took place from 1982-1983. At the time, he was Guatemala’s military Chief of Staff, the third-highest-ranking official in the country.

Under his command, Guatemalan security forces killed some 317 indigenous Maya in the so-called Ixil Triangle in the Quiché region of the country’s western highlands.

A UN-backed truth commission found that during Guatemala’s 36-year armed conflict some 200,000 people were killed or disappeared and security forces committed 626 massacres in indigenous communities.

The commission specifically found that the military’s counter-insurgency operations in the Ixil Triangle amounted to acts of genocide, with 32 separate massacres targeting the indigenous Maya-Ixil population. Fifteen of these massacres took place in 1982 while General José Efraín Ríos Montt was President.

A 2001 criminal prosecution against the former General Ríos Montt, who is currently a member of Congress, has long been stalled in the Guatemalan judicial system due to obstruction from the Defence Ministry. In 2007, Guatemala’s Constitutional Court did not grant a Spanish judge’s extradition request to try him in Spain on charges of genocide, torture and murder.

Other former military and police officials have been arrested in recent months for their alleged role in human rights abuses during the armed conflict. These include the arrests in the past month of Colonel Héctor Bol de la Cruz and Jorge Humberto Gómez López, both former heads of the national police force in 1984, when police forcibly disappeared the well-known trade union leader Edgar Fernando García. 

An army officer and a soldier who participated in a December 1982 massacre in Dos Erres village in Guatemala’s northern Petén region were also arrested earlier this year. Guatemalan security forces tortured and killed 250 men, women and children in Dos Erres before razing the village.

“For justice to be delivered to victims of human rights violations and their relatives, it is imperative that not just the foot soldiers but also the masterminds of the massacres, tortures and disappearances that terrorized Guatemala decades ago are brought to justice. Victims and their relatives have spent decades demanding justice and redress for the crimes against humanity they suffered,” said Sebastian Elgueta.

Read More

Justice and impunity: Guatemala's Historical Clarification Commission 10 years on (25 February 2009)
Still no justice for Guatemala massacre victims after 26 years (Press release, 5 December 2008)
Guatemala: The refusal to grant the extraditions requested by Spain for crimes under international law (Document, 16 May 2008)

Issue

Crimes Against Humanity And War Crimes 
Disappearances And Abductions 
Impunity 
Indigenous peoples 
International Justice 

Country

Guatemala 

Region

Americas 

@amnestyonline on twitter

News

24 November 2014

A Belgian mining company, Groupe Forrest International, has consistently lied about the bulldozing of hundreds of homes in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and... Read more »

26 November 2014

In 2010, Rogelio Amaya was violently arrested by Mexican police officers and tortured into confessing to a crime. His story exposed the shocking use of torture that pervades... Read more »

26 November 2014

The prison sentence for blasphemy handed down today by a court in Pakistan against four people including the owner of a major private TV channel and one of its star... Read more »

24 November 2014

Allegations that the UK government sanctioned the use of torture and ill-treatment in Northern Ireland in the 1970s should be re-examined by the European Court of Human... Read more »

25 November 2014

The UAE authorities have again shown their intolerance for dissent by handing down a three-year prison sentence and hefty fine today to a 25-year-old man whose only “offence”... Read more »