Document - Bahrain: Further information on incommunicado detention/fear of torture
PUBLICAI Index:MDE 11/08/98
1 December 1998
Further information on UA 294/98 (MDE 11/06/98, 11 November 1998) -
Incommunicado detention/ Fear of torture
BAHRAINSalwa Hassan Haidar (f), aged 30
Hanan Salman Haidar (f), aged 20
Maryam Sa’id al-’Aradi (f), aged 20
and many others from al-Daih village
Amnesty International has learned that Maryam Sa’id al-’Aradi has been released without charge. The exact date of release is not known and there are reports that she was subjected to torture or ill-treatment during her detention. Salwa Hassan Haidar and Hanan Salman Haidar are still in incommunicado detention and are believed to be held at al-Khamis detention
centre, south-west of the capital, al-Manama.
Amnesty International remains concerned that all those arrested in al-Daih village between 2 and 4 November 1998 are at risk of torture or ill-
FURTHER RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send telegrams/telexes/faxes/express/ airmail letters in English, Arabic or in your own language:
- expressing concern at reports that Maryam Sa’id al-’Aradi has been subjected to torture or ill-treatment;
- urging that these reports be immediately investigated and anyone found responsible be brought to justice;
- seeking clarification of the reasons and legal basis for her arrest;
- expressing concern that Salwa Hassan Haidar, Hanan Hassan Haidar and others arrested in al-Daih village between 2 and 4 November 1998 are still in incommunicado detention;
- urging that all the detainees be granted immediate access to their families and legal counsel and that the reasons and legal basis for their arrest be immediately clarified;
- reminding the government of Bahrain of its commitment to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, in particular Article 9 :"No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile" and Article 5:"No one shall be subjected to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment".
Shaikh Khalifa Bin Salman Al Khalifa
P.O. Box 1000, al-Manama, Bahrain
Telegrams:Prime Minister, al-Manama, Bahrain
Telexes:9336 PROM BN or 7889 PMPO BN
Faxes:+ 973 533033
Shaikh Muhammad Bin Khalifa Al Khalifa
Minister of Interior
P.O. Box 13, Al-Manama, Bahrain
Telegrams:Minister of Interior, al-Manama, Bahrain
Telexes:9572 PSMKT BN or 8333 ALAMAN BN
Faxes:+ 973 276765 or 290526
Salutation: Your Excellency
COPIES TO: Diplomatic representatives of Bahrain accredited to your country.
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or your section office, if sending appeals after 12 January 1999.
"No one shall be subjected to torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment"
Article 5, Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Visit the Amnesty International UDHR campaign website on http://www.amnesty.excite.com