Document - Further information on EXTRA 87/92 (EUR 61/04/92, 27 October) - Turkmenistan: house arrest: Ak-Mukhammed Velsapar, Khudayberdi Khalli, Nurberdi Nurmamedov, Klych Yarmammedov (previously given as Yarmammed Klych) and new names: Yusup Kadyrov, Aman Gurshaye
EXTERNAL (for general distribution)AI Index: EUR 61/07/92
10 November 1992
Further information on EXTRA 87/92 (EUR 61/04/92, 27 October 1992) - House arrest
Klych YARMAMMEDOV (previously given as Yarmammed Klych)
and new names: Yusup KADYROV
(in cyrillic Ак-Мухаммед ВЕЛСАПАР
Ak-Mukhammed VELSAPAR, Khudayberdi KHALLI, Nurberdi NURMAMEDOV and Klych YARMAMMEDOV (previously given wrongly as Yarmammed Klych), who were placed under house arrest on 24-25 October 1992, were all released by 1 November. Amnesty International has learned that Yusup KADYROV, Aman GURSHAYEV, Tuvak TAKHATOV and Akbabek ATAYEV, also members of the opposition Agzybirlik movement, were similarly placed under house arrest on 24-25 October, and were also released by 1 November.
Amnesty International believes that the arrest of these eight people was in direct violation of their fundamental human right to freedom of association.
FURTHER RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send telegrams/express and airmail letters either in Russian or your own language:
- welcoming the release of Ak-Mukhammed VELSAPAR, Khudayberdi KHALLI, Nurberdi NURMAMEDOV and Klych YARMAMMEDOV from house arrest;
- protesting that Yusup KADYROV, Aman GURSHAYEV, Tuvak TAKHATOV and Akbabek ATAYEV were also under house arrest in the last week of October;
- calling on the Turkmen authorities to respect internationally recognized human rights standards concerning freedom of association, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the Concluding Document of the Copenhagen Meeting of the Conference on the Human Dimension of the Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe (CSCE).
Page 2 of FU EXTRA 87/92
1. President of Turkmenistan:
Telegrams: Turkmenistan, g. Ashgabat, Prezidentu Niyazovu S.A.
Saluatation: Dear President
2. The Minister of Internal Affairs:
Ministerstvo vnutrennykh del Turkmenistana
Ministru CHARYYAROVU S.
Telegrams: Turkmenistan, g. Ashgabat, Ministerstvo vnutrenykh del, Ministru Charyyarovu S.
Salutation: Dear Minister
COPIES OF YOUR APPEALS TO:
The Minister of Foreign Affairs of Turkmenistan:
Ministerstvo inostrannykh del Turkmenistana
Faxes: +7 3632 25 14 63
and to diplomatic representatives of Turkmenistan accredited to your country (these are generally to be found at the Embassy of the Russian Federation, the former Soviet Embassy).
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or your section office, if sending appeals after 22 December 1992.