Document - Further information on EXTRA 33/92 (EUR 55/01/92, 25 March and follow-up EUR 55/02/92, 27 March) - Azerbaydzhani Republic: fear of imminent execution: Grachik Petrosyan, Gagik Arutyunyan, Arno Mkrtchyan, Arvid Mangasaryan, Garnik Arustamyan
EXTERNAL (for general distribution)AI Index: EUR 55/03/92
31 March 1992
Further information on EXTRA 33/92 (EUR 55/01/92, 25 March 1992; EUR 55/02/92, 27 March 1992)- Fear of Imminent Execution
AZERBAYDZHANI REPUBLICGrachik PETROSYAN
Names in cyrillic:Гарник ПЕТРОСЯН
Amnesty International has received a report from unofficial sources that the five men named above are due to be executed on 2 April 1992, just two weeks since they were sentenced to death in the Azerbaydzhani Republic. The trial took place on 19 March 1992 before the Supreme Court of Azerbaydzhan when the accused, who are ethnic Armenians from the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh, were convicted of murdering an Azerbaydzhani journalist.
Grachik Petrosyan, Gagik Arutyunyan, Arno Mkrtchyan, Arvid Mangasaryan and Garnik Arustamyan do not have the right to appeal against their convictions or sentences to a higher tribunal, or to have their sentences suspended pending consideration of petitions for clemency.
Amnesty International is opposed to the death penalty in all cases without reservation, and is appealing to the Acting President of the Azerbaydzhani Republic to commute the death sentences passed on these five men.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send faxes, telegrams, express and airmail letters:
- urging that the death sentences passed on Grachik Petrosyan, Gagik Arutyunyan, Arno Mkrtchyan, Arvid Mangasaryan and Garnik Arustamyan be commuted;
- urging that all other pending death sentences be commuted;
- urging that everyone sentenced to death in Azerbaydzhani Republic be granted the opportunity to appeal to a court of higher jurisdiction, in accordance with internationally agreed human rights standards;
- pointing out that Amnesty International takes no position on territorial disputes, and in these cases is concerned solely with the issue of the death penalty.
1) Acting President of the Azerbaydzhani Republic - Yakub Dzhavad ogly Mamedov:
370066 g. Baku
ul. Kommunisticheskaya 19
I.O. Prezidenta Mamedovu Ya.
Telegrams: Azerbaydzhan, 370066 Baku, I.O. Prezidenta Mamedovu Ya.D.
[Salutation: Dear Acting President]
page 2 of Extra 33/92...
2) Head of the Presidential Department of Citizenship and Clemency questions -
370066 g. Baku
ul. Kommunisticheskaya, 19
Otdel po voprosam grazhdanstva i pomilovaniya
pri apparate prezidenta Azerbaydzhanskoy Respubliki
Zaveduyushchemu otdela Aslanovu T.
Telegrams: Azerbaydzhan, 370066 Baku, Otdel po pomilovaniya pri prezidente, Aslanovu T.
[Salutation: Dear T. Aslanov]
3) Chairman of the Parliamentary Human Rights Committee -
Professor Nadir Mekhtiyev
Komitet po pravam cheloveka
Faxes:+ 7 8922 38 12 87
[Salutation: Dear Professor Mekhtiyev]
* Please note that the above address has telex and fax numbers.
1) Procurator General of the Azerbaydzhani Republic -
Prokuratura Azerbaydzhanskoy Respubliki
Generalnomu prokuroru Babayevu M.
2) Chairman of the Supreme Court of the Azerbaydzhani Republic -
Ibragim Isa ogly Ismailov:
Verkhovny sud Azerbaydzhanskoy Respubliki
Predsedatelyu Ismailovu I.I.
3)Minister of Justice of the Azerbaydzhani Republic -
Alisaad Saftar ogly Orudzhev:
370601 g. Baku
pr. Kirova, 13
Ministerstvo yustitsii Azerbaydzhanskoy Respubliki
Ministru Orudzhevu A.S.
4) Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Azerbaydzhani Republic -
Ministerstvo inostrannykh del Azerbaydzhanskoy Respubliki
Ministru Sadykhovu G.
and to diplomatic representatives of the Azerbaydzhani Republic in your country.
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY, if possible to arrive in the Azerbaydzhani Republic before 2 April 1992. Otherwise, please check with the International Secretariat, or your section office.