Document - Turkey: Further information on fear of "disappearance" / torture: Zafer Kirbiyik, Firdevs Kirbiyik (f)
EXTERNALAI Index: EUR 44/103/95
29 September 1995
Further information on EXTRA 106/95 (EUR 44/93/95, 14 September 1995) and follow-up (EUR 44/94/95, 15 September) - Fear of "disappearance" / Torture
TURKEYZafer Kırbıyık, student, aged 24
Firdevs Kırbıyık (f), his sister, board member of Health Workers' Union (Tüm Saĝlık Sen)
On 23 September, Firdevs Kırbıyık, who had been detained in Mersin on 15 September as she was searching for her "disappeared" brother, was transferred to the Anti-Terror Branch of the police in Ankara. The prosecutor in Ankara has given the police permission to hold her for further interrogation until 5 October.
Her brother Zafer Kırbıyık was formally arrested on 25 September. He was then committed to Mersin E-type Closed Prison to serve his 12-year prison sentence. It appears that a further prosecution for membership of an illegal organization may be brought against him in Konya State Security Court.
His father was able to see him briefly in Mersin prison. Zafer Kırbıyık told him that he and his sister were tortured in police custody in Mersin, but gave no details. It is feared that Firdevs Kırbıyık is being subjected to further torture at the Anti-Terror Branch of Ankara Police Headquarters.
FURTHER RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send telegrams/telexes/faxes/express/ airmail letters in English or in your own language:
- expressing concern about the reported torture of Zafer Kırbıyık and his sister Firdevs Kırbıyık in police custody in Mersin between 12 and 25 September 1995;
- expressing concern also for the safety of Firdevs Kırbıyık who has been transferred to Ankara for further interrogation until 5 October;
- seeking assurances that she not be subjected to torture or ill-treatment;
- urging that she be granted access to her family and lawyer without further delay;
- seeking information about the accusations brought against her.
1. Ankara Chief of Police:
Mr Orhan Taşanlar
Ankara Emniyet Müdürlüĝü
Telegrams: Emniyet Muduru, Ankara, Turkey
Salutation: Dear Sir
2. State Minister with responsibility for Human Rights:
Mr Algan Hacaloğlu
Office of the Prime Minister
06573 Ankara, Turkey
Faxes: +90 312 417 0476
Salutation: Dear Minister
3. Minister of the Interior:
Mr Nahit Menteşe
Telegrams: Interior Minister, Ankara, Turkey
Faxes: +90 312 418 1066; 418 1795
Salutation: Dear Minister
President of the Parliamentary Human Rights Commission:
Mr Sabri Yavuz
İnsan Hakları Araştırma Komisyonu Başkanı
Faxes: +90 312 420 5394
and to diplomatic representatives of Turkey accredited to your country.
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or your section office, if sending appeals after 15 October 1995.