Document - Turkey: Further information on fear of "disappearance" / torture: Zafer Kirbiyik; and new name: Firdevs Kirbiyik (f)
EXTERNALAI Index: EUR 44/94/95
15 September 1995
Further information on EXTRA 106/95 (EUR 44/93/95, 14 September 1995) - Fear of "disappearance" / Torture
TURKEYZafer Kırbıyık, student, aged 24
new name:Firdevs Kırbıyık (f), his sister, board member of Health Workers' Union, Tüm Saĝlık Sen
The authorities have confirmd that Zafer Kırbıyık is being held in police custody. However, it has not been disclosed where he is being held nor for how long he may be held.
On the afternoon of 15 September, his sister Firdevs Kırbıyık was also detained in Mersin, reportedly in the street. She had come to Mersin to try and find out where her brother was being held. No further details are available at this stage.
Like Zafer Kırbıyık, Firdevs Kırbıyık was detained twice previously in Ankara and alleged that she had been tortured (see EXTRA 24/94, EUR 44/28/94, 22 April and follow-up (EUR 44/33/94, 6 May 1994).
FURTHER RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send telegrams/telexes/faxes/express/ airmail letters in English or in your own language:
- expressing concern for the safety of Firdevs Kırbıyık, detained in Mersin on 15 September 1995; and of Zafer Kırbıyık whose detention has been acknowledged, but whose whereabouts are still unknown;
- requesting that their family or lawyers be informed of their whereabouts without delay;
- appealing that Zafer and Firdevs Kırbıyık not be subjected to torture or any other form of ill-treatment;
- asking to be informed of any charges brought against them.
1. Mersin Chief of Police:
Mr Hasan Özdemir
Mersin Emniyet Müdürlüĝü
Telegrams: Emniyet Muduru, Mersin, Turkey
Salutation: Dear Sir
2. Mersin State Prosecutor:
Telegrams: Cumhuriyet Başsavcisi, Mersin, Turkey
Salutation: Dear Sir
3. State Minister with responsibility for Human Rights:
Mr Algan Hacaloğlu
Office of the Prime Minister
06573 Ankara, Turkey
Faxes: +90 312 417 0476
Salutation: Dear Minister
President of the Parliamentary Human Rights Commission:
Mr Sabri Yavuz
İnsan Hakları Araştırma Komisyonu Başkanı
Faxes: +90 312 420 5394
and to diplomatic representatives of Turkey accredited to your country.
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or your section office, if sending appeals after 15 October 1995.