Document - Turkey: Fear of torture: Ibrahim Halil Isik

EXTERNAL (for general distribution)AI Index: EUR 44/79/95

Distr: UA/SC

EXTRA 85/95Fear of Torture

TURKEYIbrahim Halil Isik, journalist21 July 1995

Ibrahim Halil Isik was detained in Adana on 18 July 1995 and is being held in unacknowledged detention at Adana Police Headquarters. Under current legislation he may be held for up to 15 days. It is feared that he is being interrogated under torture.

In early June, Ibrahim Halil Isik met with Amnesty International's research delegate in Adana. The delegate was later detained and his notes and documents were temporarily confiscated. He was then forced to leave the country.

Ibrahim Halil Isik, a journalist, worked for the newspaper Özgür Ülke in its Urfa office until the newspaper ceased publication in February 1995. He was last detained for three days in Urfa at the beginning of May when he applied for a passport. He was asked to collaborate with the police, but when he refused was stripped naked, thrown into a cell, the floor of which was under water, and interrogated and beaten for six to seven hours.


Until February 1995 the Kurdish-owned newspaper Özgür Gündem and its successor Özgür Ülke were the only newspapers in Turkey which consistently reported human rights violations from the predominantly Kurdish provinces in the east and in the southeast. A State of Emergency is currently in force in these provinces and the security forces are engaged in conflict with armed members of the Kurdish Workers' Party (PKK). Scores of the newspaper's editors and other staff have been detained and tortured, many of whom are still in prison and on trial or awaiting trial. Nine correspondents and 11 people distributing the newspaper have been murdered under circumstances suggesting security forces involvement. One female staff journalist has also "disappeared" in Istanbul.

In Turkey most allegations of torture relate to ill-treatment of detainees in police custody during their initial interrogation when they are usually denied access to relatives or a lawyer. Detainees held on suspicion of political offenses may be held without charge for up to 15 days. In the 10 provinces under emergency legislation in the southeast of Turkey, the maximum detention period for political detainees may be doubled to 30 days.

RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send telegrams/telexes/faxes/express and airmail letters either in English or in your own language:

- expressing concern for the safety of Ibrahim Halil Isik held in unacknowledged detention at Adana Police Headquarters since 18 July 1995;

- seeking assurances that he is not subjected to torture or any other form of ill-treatment;

- asking that he be given access to his lawyer;

- seeking information about any charges that may be brought against Ibrahim Halil Isik.


1.Chief of Adana Police:

Mr Ramazan Er

Adana Emniyet Müdürlüğü

Adana, Turkey

Telegrams: Emniyet Muduru, Adana, Turkey

Salutation: Dear Sir

2. Deputy Prime Minister

Mr Hikmet Çetin


06573 Ankara, Turkey

Telegrams: Deputy Prime Minister, Ankara, Turkey

Telex: 44061/44062/44063 bbmt tr

42099 basb tr

42875 bbk tr

Faxes: +90 312 417 04 76 DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER

Salutation: Dear Prime Minister

3. Adana Chief Prosecutor

Adana Cumhuriyet Başsavcısı

Hükümet Konağı

Adana, Turkey

Telegrams: Cumhuriyet Başsavcısı Adana, Turkey

Salutation: Dear Sir


State Minister with responsibility for Human Rights:

Mr Algan Hacaloğlu

Office of the Prime Minister


06573 Ankara, Turkey

Faxes: +90 312 417 0476

and to diplomatic representatives of Turkey accredited to your country

PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or your section office, if sending appeals after 15 August 1995.

How you can help