Document - Turkey: Further information on fear of "disappearance": Hasan Ocak
EXTERNAL (for general distribution)AI Index: EUR 44/60/95
19 May 1995
Further information on UA 82/95 (EUR 44/46/95, 30 March 1995) - and follow-up: EUR 44/53/95, 21 April 1995: Fear of "disappearance"
TURKEYHasan Ocak, aged 30
On May 16 the tortured body of Hasan Ocak was recognized by his older brother, Hüseyin Ocak, on a photograph taken by the Istanbul Forensic Medicine Institute. Hasan Ocak's body was found on 26 March near Buzhane village of Beykoz, Istanbul. After being kept for two weeks at the Forensic Medicine Institute the body had been buried unidentified in the Fatih Cemetery in Istanbul.
Hüseyin Ocak made further investigations at the office of the Beykoz Public Prosecutor. There, examination of more photographs and the results of a blood test seemed to confirm that the body belonged to Hasan Ocak. According to Hüseyin Ocak the photographs suggested that his brother had been killed under torture. Apparently there were marks of strangulation with a wire on the neck, traces of blows and burns on the head and cuts on the face. The family applied to the prosecutor in Beykoz for the permission to exhume the body for formal identification and further investigations. The body was exhuminated on the morning of 19 May 1995. The Secretary General of the Turkish Human Rights Association Hüsnü Öndül commented on the case: "The political powers which remain indifferent to the cries of the mothers of `disappeared' should not escape the legal and political responsibility of this murder."
FURTHER RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send telegrams/faxes/express and airmail letters:
- expressing outrage at the murder of Hasan Ocak, "disappeared" on 21 March 1995;
- urging the authorities to ensure that a full and thorough examination be carried out on the body of Hasan Ocak by a fully qualified and properly equipped forensic medicine professionals and in the presence of a legal representative of the family before the body is delivered to the family;
- stressing that the death of Hasan Ocak should be examined by a commission of investigation as envisaged in the United Nations Principles on the Effective Prevention and Investigation of Extra-legal, Arbitrary and Summary Executions;
- asking to be informed of the outcome of the investigations.
1) Minister of the Interior:
Mr Nahit Menteşe
Telegrams: Interior Minister, Ankara, Turkey
Faxes: +90 312 418 1066
Salutation: Dear Minister
2) State Minister with responsibility for Human Rights:
Mr Algan Hacaoğlu
Office of the Prime Minister
06573 Ankara, Turkey
Faxes: +90 312 417 0476
Salutation: Dear Minister
COPIES OF YOUR APPEALS TO:
President of the Parliamentary Human Rights Commission:
Mr Sabri Yavuz
İnsan Hakları Araştırma Komisyonu Başkanı
Faxes: +90 312 420 5394
and to diplomatic representatives of Turkey accredited to your country
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or your section office, if sending appeals after 30 June 1995