Document - Turkey: Further information on fear of torture: Huseyin Aksoy, Zohre Aksoy (f), Tacim Simsek, Muruvvet Gunel (f), Sukru Tas, Kemal Yadirgi, Seyda Gul (f), Huseyin Demirli, Kiraz Ozcan (f), Emine Akcan (f), Ismet Dursun, Osman; and new names: Ahmet Mete Ke
EXTERNAL (for general distribution)AI Index: EUR 44/08/95
10 January 1995
Further information on EXTRA 03/95 (EUR 44/05/95, 10 January 1995) - Fear of Torture additional concern: Fear of "disappearance"
TURKEY Hüseyin Aksoy
Zöhre Aksoy (female)
Mürüvvet Günel (f), ward representative of Media trade union
Şeyda Gül (female)
Kiraz Özcan (female)
Emine Akcan (female)
new names: Ahmet Mete Kekeç
and 15 others whose names are not known yet
On 10 January 1995, Hüseyin Aksoy was granted permission to see his lawyer, while Tacı Şimşek's lawyer was refused access to his client.
Reportedly, Şükrü Taş in is a very bad state of health due to torture. When İsmet Dursun's family sought confirmation of his detention, the authorities denied that he was being held. The family fear for İsmet Dursun's safety.
FURTHER RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send telegrams/telexes/faxes/express and airmail letters:
- expressing concern for the safety of 30 people detained in Istanbul on 4 January 1995 [naming some of them] who are being held at the Anti-Terror Branch of Istanbul Police Headquarters;
- expressing concern in particular about the reported ill-health of Şükrü Taş allegedly as a result of torture;
- seeking assurances that the detainees are not being subjected to torture or any other form of ill-treatment;
- urging that they are all granted access to their relatives and lawyers;
- urging also that steps are taken to establish the whereabouts of İsmet Dursun, reportedly detained in the same police operation on 4 January, but whose detention has not been acknowledged;
- asking to be informed of any charges brought against the detainees.
1) Istanbul Chief of Police:
Mr Necdet Menzir
Istanbul Emniyet Müdürü
Telegrams: Emniyet Muduru, Istanbul, Turkey
Telexes: 30811 IEHM TR; 30812 EMMH TR; 26177 IEMT TR
Salutation: Dear Sir
2) Chief Prosecutor at Istanbul State Security Court
Mr Ahmet Köksal
Devlet Güvenlik Mahkemesi
Telegrams: DGM Başsavcısı, İstanbul, Turkey
Salutation: Dear Sir
3) State Minister with responsibility for Human Rights:
Mr Azimet Köylüoğlu
Office of the Prime Minister
06573 Ankara, Turkey
Faxes: +90 312 417 0476
Salutation: Dear Minister
COPIES OF YOUR APPEALS TO:
President of the Parliamentary Human Rights Commission:
Mr Sabri Yavuz
İnsan Hakları Araştırma Komisyonu Başkanı
Faxes: +90 312 420 5394
and to diplomatic representatives of Turkey accredited to your country.
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or your section office, if sending appeals after 10 February 1995.