Document - Turkey: Further information on prisoners of conscience: Mahmut Sakar, Nimetullah Gunduz, Abdullah Cager, Sedat Aslantas, Mahmut Akkurt, Yavuz Onen, Fevzi Argun, Akin Birdal, Husnu Ondul; and new name: Melike Alp
EXTERNAL (for general distribution)AI Index: EUR 44/04/95
6 January 1995
Further information on UA 450/94 (EUR 44/157/94, 22 December 1994) - Prisoners of Conscience
TURKEYMahmut Şakar, lawyer, secretary of Diyarbakir branch of the Turkish Human Rights Association (HRA)
Nimetullah Gündüz, lawyer, board member of Diyarbakır HRA
Abdullah Çağer, lawyer, board member of Diyarbakır HRA
Sedat Aslantaş, lawyer, former president of Diyarbakir HRA
Mahmut Akkurt, lawyer, former president of Balıkesir HRA
Yavuz Önen, President of Turkish Human Rights Foundation (TIHV)
Fevzi Argun, board member of TIHV
Akın Birdal, National President of the HRA
Hüsnü Öndül, lawyer, HRA General Secretary
new name: Melike Alp (f), board member of Diyarbakır branch of HRA
Melike Alp, housewife and mother of three, was taken from her home on 30 December 1994 and committed to Diyarbakır Central Closed Prison. She is a board member of the Diyarbakır branch of the Turkish Human Rights Association (HRA), and as such is held responsible for the publication of the Diyarbakır HRA's recent report on human rights violations, like the three lawyers Mahmut Şakar, Nimetullah Gündüz and Abdullah Çağer. The report, which to Amnesty International's knowledge does not advocate violence, was banned by Diyarbakır State Security Court on 13 December 1994.
No trial has been opened yet against the four HRA officials whom Amnesty International considers to be prisoners of conscience. Their imprisonment is in violation of their right to freedom of expression, as safeguarded in Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights, to which Turkey is a State Party.
RECOMMENDED ACTION: Please send telegrams/faxes/express and airmail letters either in English or in your own language:
- calling for the immediate and unconditional release of the Turkish Human Rights Association officials Melike Alp, Mahmut Şakar, Nimetullah Gündüz, and Abdullah Çağer, who are currently held in Diyarbakır Central Closed Prison and in Diyarbakır E-type Prison;
- stating that these human rights defenders are imprisoned for expressing their non-violent opinions, and that they are therefore prisoners of conscience held in violation of Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights, which safeguards the right to freedom of expression;
- pointing out that Turkey is a State Party to the European Convention on Human Rights;
- expressing concern at the increasing number of human rights activists imprisoned (for example, Sedat Aslantaş and Mahmut Akkurt), or threatened with imprisonment (Yavuz Önen, Fevzi Argun, Akın Birdal and Hüsnü Öndül);
- asking that Article 8 of the Anti-Terror be repealed or amended as soon as possible.
Please send appeals to one or more of the following, who are among those members of parliament who have opposed reform of the Anti-Terror Law which might have halted the imprisonment of prisoners of conscience:
1. Necmettin Erbakan, leader of Refah (Welfare Party)
2. Mesut Yılmaz, leader of ANAP (Motherland Party)
3. Alparslan Türkeş, leader, MHP (Nationalist Action Party)
4. Baki Tuğ, True Path Party (DYP)
5. Coşkun Kırca, True Path Party (DYP)
6. Yaşar Topçu, True Path Party
7. Oltan Sungurlu, ANAP
Türkiye Büyük Millet Meclisi
Faxes: +90 312 420 5165 or +90 312 420 6941
Telegrams: (MP's name), TBMM, Ankara, Turkey
Salutation: Dear Minister
Minister of Justice:
Mr Mehmet Moğultay
06659 Ankara, Turkey
Telegrams: Justice Minister, Ankara, Turkey
Faxes: +90 312 417 3954
Salutation: Dear Minister
COPIES OF YOUR APPEALS TO:
Babıali Cad. 15/17
Posta Kodu 34360
Medya Plaza, Basın Ekspres Yolu,
34540 Güneşli, Istanbul, Turkey.
and to diplomatic representatives of Turkey accredited to your country.
You may also send copies of your appeals, and best wishes to the prisoners:
Mrs Melike Alp
Diyarbakır Merkez Kapalı Cezaevi, Diyarbakır, Turkey
Av Mahmut Şakar, Av Nimetullah Gündüz, Av Abdullah Çağer
Diyarbakır E-tipi Cezaevi, 31. Koğuş, Diyarbakır, Turkey.
Av Sedat Aslantaş
Ankara Merkez Kapalı Cezaevi, Ankara, Turkey
Av Mahmut Akkurt
Kepsut Cezaevi, Kepsut, Balıkesir, Turkey
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or your office, if sending appeals after 28 February 1995.