Document - Further information on UA 234/91 (ASA 33/07/91, 11 July) - Pakistan: abduction: Abdul Rahim Chinzai, former government official in Afghanistan
EXTERNAL (for general distribution)AI Index: ASA 33/20/91
7 November 1991
Further information on UA 234/91 (ASA 33/07/91, 11 July 1991) - Abduction
PAKISTAN:Abdul Rahim Chinzai, a former government official in Afghanistan
Amnesty International has learned that Abdul Rahim Chinzai is alive and is currently held by members of Hezb-e-Islami (Hekmatyar), an Afghan Mujahideen group operating in Pakistan. The Mujahideen are the armed Afghan opposition which operate with the recognition and cooperation of the Pakistan authorities.
The exact location of Abdul Rahim Chinzai's place of detention is unknown but it is believed to be a detention centre run by Hezb-e-Islami (Hekmatyar) in a border area between Pakistan's North West Frontier Province and Afghanistan. He is reported to be receiving medicine for his diabetic illness through Hezb-e-Islami (Hekmatyar) officials.
Amnesty International is concerned about Abdul Rahim Chinzai's continued unlawful detention. As his abduction (on 9 July 1991) took place in Pakistan and as Hezb-e-Islami (Hekmatyar) is operating in Pakistan with the cooperation of the Pakistani authorities, Amnesty International is calling upon the Government of Pakistan to ensure Abdul Rahim Chinzai's well-being and release.
FURTHER RECOMMENDED ACTION: Telegrams/telexes/express and airmail letters:
- stating that according to Amnesty International's information, Abdul Rahim Chinzai is being detained unlawfully and for political reasons in a border area between Pakistan's North west Frontier Province and Afghanistan, by members of Hezb-e-Islami (Hekmatyar), a Mujahideen party based in Pakistan;
- calling upon the Pakistan authorities to take immediate action to investigate the circumstances of Abdul Rahim Chinzai's abduction and imprisonment, ensure his release and bring to justice those responsible for his abduction and detention.
1) Mr Mian Nawaz Sharif Dear Prime Minister
Office of the Prime Minister
Telegrams: Prime Minister Sharif, Islamabad, Pakistan
Page 2 of FU 234/91
2) Mr Mir Afzal Khan Jadoon Dear Chief Minister
Office of the Chief Minister
North West Frontier Province
Telegrams:Chief Minister NWFP, Peshawar, Pakistan
Telexes:5800 (via Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
3) Chief of Army Staff Dear Sir
General Army HQ
Telegrams:Chief of Army Staff, General Army HQ, Rawalpindi, Pakistan
For reasons of security please remove your address from copies of your appeals sent to the following address:
Professor Sebghatollah Mujaddedi
President of the Afghan Interim Government
GPO Box 377, Peshawar, Pakistan.
Please send complete copies to diplomatic representatives of Pakistan in your country.
PLEASE SEND APPEALS IMMEDIATELY. Check with the International Secretariat, or your section office, if sending appeals after 15 December 1991.