Become an International Member
Amnesty International is a membership organisation that relies on the active participation of members like you to protect human rights. So, thanks for joining the movement of nearly 2.8 million people around the world!
There are many ways in which you can get involved with Amnesty International. To really take an active role in Amnesty International campaigns, the best thing you can do is to join as an International Member and then become an Online Community Volunteer. The Online Community of International Members is a fast-growing, exciting space in which members can take action, participate in and contribute to Amnesty International campaigns, human rights campaigns and engage with other International Members.
The benefits of International Membership
With your online membership account, you can:
- Receive emails to take action about ongoing campaigns. We will send you information about our major campaigns as well as information based on your regional interests.
- Receive the monthly newsletter – the Wire Alert
- Access to the Activism Centre and activism tools
- Receive support for your activism
- Receive support to manage your account by the Online Communities Team via the team’s inbox; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email email@example.com with reports of human rights violations which will be forwarded to the country specific research team
- Find the regional or linguistic social media profiles sponsored by Amnesty International
You can become more involved through support offered by the Online Communities team about:
- Opportunities on how to become an online community volunteer
- Opportunities for online training on a specific campaign or on how to become an e-activist
- Organize events to stand up for human rights in your community.
- Join a Bloggers or Event Organizers network to meet supporters in your area
If you have any ideas for an event for your community that ties in with a campaign, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As Amnesty International is a membership organization, you also have voting rights and can stand for election:
- You can vote for your International Member representative to represent you and the online community at the International Council Meeting that meets every 2 years
- If you have been an International Member for longer than 18 months, you can stand for election as an International Member representative.
You can also join an SMS network if you live in a specific country. You will receive between 1 to 5 texts per month depending on campaigns.
- If you are in India, you can join the Indian SMS network by texting: AMNESTY JOIN to 56677.
- If you are in Nigeria, you can join the Nigerian SMS network by texting: JOIN to 08132698619